Are you watching the active market and considering selling your Okanagan home? While there are quite a few steps to go through when you begin this process, it’s most important to find a REALTOR® that will help you prepare your home to ensure you receive the highest offer possible. Many factors are involved in the pricing of your home, such as the current market, comparable sold properties, location, condition of the home, etc. Regardless of these factors, one simple, yet impactful step is staging your home.
What is home staging? In simple terms, it’s making your home appeal to the widest range of buyers by removing personal possessions so viewers can see themselves living in the space.
There are some basic steps I’d recommend doing in this staging process before listing your home:
1. Get rid of clutter – I understand your personal photos and décor are near and dear to your heart, but they can be a barrier for potential buyers in visualizing themselves living there. My tip is to minimalize personal décor when showing your home.
2. Create a strong welcome – from the moment the potential buyer pulls into your driveway they should be excited about the possibility of living there. It’s important to make sure that the grass is cut, the hedges are trimmed, the windows and door handles are clean and the steps are swept. You can take this one step further by making small updates such as adding modern house numbers, a freshly painted front door or a new mailbox.
3. Focus on the “high attraction” spaces – people spend a lot of time in the kitchen, so be sure to have it sparkling clean with only the absolute essentials left out. Sometimes adding fresh cut flowers or a nice candle is just the added touch you need.
4. Neutralize, neutralize, neutralize – edgy colours and trendy designs may be a fun way to make your home unique to you, but keeping colours and furniture to a neutral colour and style is an easy way to make your home appealing to a wide variety of buyers.
5. Turn up the lighting. You can never have too much light in your home to showcase just how beautiful it is. Keeping the blinds open to allow as much natural light as possible it a great idea, you can also consider adding a nice lamp or additional lighting fixtures to brighten up the space!
If you’re unsure where to start with the staging process, I’d love to give you some personalized tips to take your space to new heights and ready to be viewed. Connect with me to capture these tips, or to have me connect you with a professional stager in your area.